AMD (NYSE: AMD) today announced another milestone in delivering world-class platforms that integrate leading-edge processor, chipset and GPU technology. With the introduction of the Six-Core AMD Opteron™ processor with AMD Chipset platform, AMD is taking a step forward in its strategy to provide customers with server platforms - processor, chipset, and GPU - that specifically address the needs of today's data center workloads. This new server platform, along with the AMD platform specification code-named "Kroner", enables advanced performance, the benefits of unified processor and chipset technology, and furthers AMD's commitment to energy efficiency.
- The very low power "Kroner" twin server design specification offers additional platform elements such as voltage regulation and the ability to remotely set power caps, to help further drive down power consumption for hyperscale customers.
- New AMD chipset technology can help improve performance of virtualization and HPC workloads with PCI Express® 2.0, HyperTransport™ 3 technology and advanced AMD Virtualization™ (AMD-V™) technology and AMD-P features, including IOMMU support.
- This comprehensive platform offers superior energy efficiency with a new low-power AMD chipset to meet demands of cloud and other dense server environments.
- OEMs have exceptional flexibility in customizing their offerings with the wide range of performance and power choices available in the AMD Opteron processor family and now with three new options in a corresponding AMD server chipset.
- Unified platform can improve design efficiency, technology integration, and enable enhanced platform features among CPUs, chipsets and GPUs.
- Multiple platforms in a wide range of configurations and form factors, including blade, rack and tower, are expected to be available in the coming weeks from leading server infrastructure providers including Tyan, Supermicro, Microway, and ZT Systems.
- Additional OEMs are expected to incorporate the new AMD server chipset into their systems based on the upcoming AMD Opteron processor variant currently codenamed "Magny-Cours" in the first quarter of 2010.
"Our focus is to deliver on the aspects of a server platform that directly impact the IT manager - improved performance on key workloads and virtualization, and low overall power consumption," said Patrick Patla, vice president and general manager, Server and Embedded Business, AMD. "This new platform and the platform specification codenamed "Kroner" allow our OEM customers to deliver unique solutions to solve a particular datacenter problem. And they can recognize development and time to market value because of the consistency and commonality across our product generations."
"With the combination of AMD's new server chipset and the Six-Core AMD Opteron EE processor, TYAN has developed an ultra low power platform that some of our key customers have been waiting for," said Albert Mu, Vice President of Enterprise Business Unit of MiTAC International Corporation. "We worked closely with AMD to shave power consumption to a bare minimum. TYAN is introducing an extremely energy efficient platform based on the "Kroner" design specification, which is optimized for server density. Our collaboration with AMD to achieve this level of energy efficiency sets a new standard for cloud computing."
"In today's server market, our customers are seeking superior performance and throughput as well as maximum performance-per-watt for their high-density clusters," said Charles Liang, president and CEO of Supermicro Computer, Inc. (NASDAQ: SMCI). "Supermicro's new Six-Core AMD Opteron processor-based server, blade and workstation solutions with PCI-e 2.0 support advanced features including optimization for GPU computing, 6Gb/s SAS 2.0 storage, and 40Gb/s QDR InfiniBand connectivity, enabling them to deliver outstanding performance and value to customers."
Advanced Micro Devices (NYSE: AMD) is an innovative technology company dedicated to collaborating with customers and technology partners to ignite the next generation of computing and graphics solutions at work, home and play. For more information, visit http://www.amd.com.