As the world becomes increasingly energy conscious, AMD continues to make energy efficiency a priority. Advances like AMD's Cool'n'QuietTM technology result in proven, measurable benefits for businesses and consumers, including reduced power usage, lower energy costs, and greener PC operation.
AMD's Energy Efficient processors offer tangible benefits,
- Helps enable electricity cost savings
- Helps enable smaller form factors that take up less space for both practical and aesthetic purposes
- Helps enable systems that are quiet and do not generate excessive heat - ideal for growing media center PC market
- Helps enable low energy bills to help reduce operating costs
- Helps enable differentiated and competitive solutions
- Helps enable smaller, sleeker form factors that take up less space in offices and cubicles and are designed to operate quietly
Cool 'N' Quiet™ 2.0 Technology
With the next generation of award-winning power saving technology, Cool'n'Quiet™ 2.0 Technology reduces heat and noise so you can experience amazing performance without distraction. Combined with core enhancements, included in the AMD Phenom™ processor, that can improve overall power savings, deliver seamless multitasking and energy efficiency. Work, play, talk, and share on a PC that's seen, not heard.
- Independent Dynamic Core Technology- Helps users get more efficient performance by dynamically adjusting individual core frequencies as required by utilization needs
- Dual Dynamic Power Management™ - Helps improve platform efficiency by providing full-speed memory performance while enabling decreased system power consumption.
- AMD CoolCore™ Technology - Helps users get more efficient performance by dynamically activating or turning off parts of the processor.
- AMD Wideband Frequency Control - Allows the processor to respond more precisely to user demands, maximizing performance to deliver a better PC user experience.
- Multi-Point Thermal Control - Prevents processor from creating too much heat and enables a cooler, quieter PC experience
Cool 'N' Quiet™ 3.0 Technology
Capitalizing on AMD's leadership in energy efficiency with innovations such as, AMD Cool'n'Quiet™ 3.0 Technology, AMD Phenom™ II processors give you performance when you need it and save power when you don't.
In addition to the features included with Cool'n'Quiet 2.0 Technology, the following new features have been added:
- AMD Smart Fetch Technology - Fewer processing cycles are required to locate information since data storage is streamlined and stored in the shared L3 cache. Provides CPU power savings by maintaining processor sleep states and sharing cached data between cores.
- 45 nm Process Technology with Immersion Lithography - puts more transistors in less space and delivers better processor performance while using less power.
AMD's Energy Efficient processors offer technology partners energy-efficient options to create small, quiet and attractive solutions so that enterprises and consumers alike have more pleasant computing experiences. By using less electricity, energy efficient AMD desktop processors can lead to lower energy consumption, contributing to an improved global environment.
Get More with Less Power.
Energy-efficient AMD processors with Cool'n'Quiet™ Technology enable smaller, sleeker, more energy-efficient PC's. In March 2005, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) awarded Cool'n'Quiet Technology special recognition for the advancement of energy-efficient computer technologies. AMD expects that systems built using energy-efficient AMD desktop processors can meet, and in many instances, exceed the new system requirements from the EPA's ENERGY STAR Version 4 computer specification, effective July 20, 2007.
ENERGY STAR Documentation and websites
Energy Star Overview for desktops
Energy Star websites:
ENERGY STAR Qualified Computers
Energy-efficient AMD Desktop Processors-A real-world analysis of power usage
Download the brochure PDF
Cool'n'Quiet Technology Installation Guide for AMD Athlon processor-based systems
This document is a step-by-step guide to enable Cool'n'Quiet Technology functionality on an AMD Athlon processor-based system. It outlines the correct components to be used, as well as instructions for obtaining and installing the correct driver software.
Download the Cool'n'Quiet Technology Installation Guide PDF
For more information on available motherboards that support Cool'n'Quiet Technology and on downloading Cool'n'Quiet Technology-based software/drivers, please go to: