AMD Turion™ X2 Ultra Dual-Core Mobile Processors and AMD Turion™ X2 Dual-Core Mobile Processors Key Architecture Features
Direct Connect Architecture
Helps deliver leading-edge PC system performance by eliminating delays caused when multiple components compete for access to the processor bus.
- Designed to eliminate the real challenges and bottlenecks of system architectures through the use of separate, dedicated high-speed links:
- between the processor and main memory
- between the processor and I/O
- between CPU cores within the same processor
True Multi-Core Processing
Enables better multi-tasking performance for today's more demanding PC users so they can run multiple applications to do more in less time.
- The extensive AMD64 architectural optimizations and features enable thorough integration of multiple cores within the same processor, with each core having its own L1 and L2 caches
Mobile Optimized Memory Controller
Enables dramatic application performance improvements with increased system bandwidth for a better PC experience with less latency and long battery life.
- Directly connects processor to memory to optimize memory performance and bandwidth. Improved memory bandwidth and support for DDR2-800 help provide increased memory performance. Power consumption is reduced by operating at a lower voltage and frequency from processor cores.
- PC2-6400 (DDR2-800), PC2-5300 (DDR2-667), PC2-4200/4300 (DDR2-533) SDRAM unbuffered DIMMs
- Support for 64-bit DDR2 SDRAM memory
- Up to 12.8 GB/s memory bandwidth
AMD Dedicated Multi-cache
Supports better multitasking and better overall processor performance because each core has its own L2 cache memory.
- Each core has its own dedicated L2 cache, which enables simultaneous independent core access to cache, eliminating the need for cores to arbitrate for cache access. This helps reduce latency on L2 cache access.
Power-Optimized HyperTransport™ Technology 3.0
3rd-Generation HyperTransport™ technology interface improves I/O performance through increased bandwidth. New Power Management Extensions designed to dynamically scale HyperTransport™ technology link width.
- Provides greater bandwidth to support Microsoft® DirectX® 10 and Microsoft® DirectX® 10.1, for a more realistic 3D gaming experience and for ATI Avivo™ HD Technology so users can enjoy Blu-ray movies on their PC with smooth HD3 Playback.
- Up to 14.4 GB HyperTransport I/O bandwidth
AMD Digital Media XPress™ Technology
Delivers sharper and more life-like 3-D graphics, taking the PC user experience to new levels in games, video, DVDs, and more.
- Provides support for SSE, SSE2, SSE3 and MMX instructions.
AMD Virtualization™ Technology
Enables IT managers to get the most out of hardware by "co-locating" legacy and modern operating systems, installing trusted and untrusted partitions on the same hard-disk or using the same machine for both client-facing and business-facing applications.
- Silicon feature-set enhancements designed to improve the performance, reliability, and security of existing and future virtualization environments
Simultaneous 32-bit and 64-bit Computing
Today's PC users can take advantage of the latest innovation in computing, Windows Vista® 64-bit Edition, and the next generation of applications that are expected to deliver even greater performance.
- AMD64 technology enables a breakthrough approach to 64-bit computing that doubles the number of registers in the processor, and allows PC users to use today's 32-bit software applications while enabling them to also use the next generation of 64-bit applications
Enhanced AMD PowerNow!™ Technology
The first power optimization technology in the industry enables today's more mobile and demanding PC user to realize more battery life than previous generation processor technologies.
- Dynamically switches performance states (processor core voltage and operating frequency) based on processor performance requirements.
Independent Dynamic Core Technology
Extends battery life by dynamically optimizing the operating frequency for each core in the processor based on end-user application needs.
- Each processor core can operate at an independent frequency based on workload requirements. The processor cores continue to operate during frequency adjustments.
AMD Dynamic Power Management
Helps PC users get the performance they need while multitasking and still get the long battery life they want while on the go.
- Each processor core, and the integrated memory controller and HyperTransport™ technology controller are powered by a dedicated voltage plane.
Multi-Point Thermal Control
Designed to prevent processor from creating too much heat, enabling a cooler notebook PC experience.
- Next generation design features multiple on-die thermal sensors with digital interface. Automatic reduction of p-state when temperature exceeds pre-defined limit. Additional memory thermal management interface.
AMD CoolCore™ Technology
Extends notebook usage on battery by turning off processor features that are not being used.
- Reduces processor energy consumption by turning off unused parts of the processor.