AMD Announces its Highest-performance Mobile Graphics Chip Ever for HD Visual Computing on the Go
— ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 3800 series outperforms previous generation ATI Mobility Radeon™ GPUs by 3X for amazing power management and eye-catching graphics 1—
Computex, TAIPEI, Taiwan --
AMD (NYSE: AMD) today announced the ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 3800, tripling top-of-the line graphics performance in comparison to the previous generation ATI Mobility Radeon™ GPUs1. Joining the previously announced ATI Mobility Radeon™ 3000 family, the new ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3800 series offers notebook manufacturers the ability to deliver fast graphics performance, energy-efficient 55nm graphics processor technology, amazing video playback, and, for the first time ever, ATI CrossFireX™ technology for a mobile graphics solution. ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3800 series coupled with the AMD Turion™ X2 Ultra Processors, the AMD 7-Series Chipset, and industry-leading wireless technologies like 802.11n Draft 2.0 form the next-generation AMD notebook platform, also announced today, for the ultimate in HD visual performance on the go.
Notebooks equipped with ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3800 series allow users to experience the power of HD with graphics processing designed for work and play to satisfy the needs of the most demanding graphics professionals on the go. 2
“The ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3800 is the most feature-rich notebook graphics solution we have ever produced,” said Matt Skynner, vice president of marketing, Graphics Products Group, AMD. “It’s an ‘uber-performance’ chip that beats all comers. Our notebook manufacturing customers now have the ability to create the ultimate in notebook solutions that feature amazing energy efficiency coupled with next-generation, unsurpassed mobile graphics technologies.”
As the only high-performance mobile graphics solution capable of supporting applications created using Microsoft® DirectX® 10.11, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3800 series offers superb HD game performance and life-like realism for The Ultimate Visual Experience™. New PCI Express® 2.0 support enables fast throughput and superior overall system performance -- ideal for high-performance gamers. Notebooks with ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3800 series will allow users to enjoy the latest Blu-ray movies in full-HD 1080p resolution2 and free the CPU for other tasks. The ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3800 series also provides break-through energy efficiency with improved performance-per-watt to deliver exceptional battery life.
The ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3800 features a variety of new technologies designed to improve overall notebook performance:
- The Ultimate Visual Experience™ is enabled with next generation Unified Shader Architecture, immense processing power and a 256-bit GDDR3 memory interface. The ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3800 series delivers feature-rich graphics for astonishing image quality and optimal 3D modeling application performance.
- ATI CrossFireX technology for mobile graphics delivers high-performance PC gaming by combining multiple ATI Radeon™ graphics in a single notebook PC to increase graphics quality and performance. ATI CrossFireX is designed to the latest industry-standards for notebooks today.
- PCI Express 2.0 offers more than enough horsepower for the most demanding professional graphics applications by boosting 3D graphics performance while providing fast throughput resulting in an excellent overall system performance.
- ATI Avivo™ HD Technology is the high-performance engine for advanced image and video technology, while freeing the CPU from compute-intensive video decoding tasks. ATI Avivo™ HD Technology delivers smooth full HD format video playback and photo editing with brilliant colors and sharp images, ideal for professionals demanding the next level of display technology excellence. 2
- Energy-efficient 55nm graphics processor technology helps extend battery life and conserve energy.
- ATI PowerPlay™ technology dynamically delivers the optimal balance between performance and power to suit performance requirements for long battery life and superior performance-per-watt operation.
- Breakthrough Performance-per-watt is critical to users who demand exceptional performance and power saving features that help lower power consumption.
- New design size implementation allows the chip to run cool, producing less heat so that notebook delivers the power, performance and efficiency users crave.
Advanced Micro Devices (NYSE: AMD) is a leading global provider of innovative processing solutions in the computing, graphics and consumer electronics markets. AMD is dedicated to driving open innovation, choice and industry growth by delivering superior customer-centric solutions that empower consumers and businesses worldwide. For more information, visit http://www.amd.com.
Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo, ATI, the ATI logo, Avivo, CrossFireX, PowerPlay, Radeon, The Ultimate Visual Experience and combinations thereof, are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Other names are for informational purposes only and may be trademarks of their respective owners.
1. Based on internal AMD testing using an AMD Turion™ X2 Ultra 2.4 GHz platforms using AMD M780G, 2GB PC-6400 memory, Windows Vista Ultimate® SP1, with one system using an ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 3450 GPU and the other using an ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 3870 GPU. The ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3870 delivers three times the graphics performance over the ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3470 as noted by 3DMark05 scores of 4000 for the ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 3450 and ~13000 for the ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 3870, and by 3DMark06 scores of 2000 for the ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 3450 and ~8000 for the ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 3870.
2. HD movies can be viewed on HD-enabled panels.