Quad-Core AMD Opteron™ Processors Offer "Best-of-Breed" Platform for Microsoft SQL Server 2008
—World-Record Benchmark Scores Showcase the Premier Solution to Help Businesses Manage Critical Data and Scale More Efficiently —
SUNNYVALE, Calif. --
AMD (NYSE: AMD) today announced its support for the Microsoft Corp. Release to Manufacturing (RTM) of SQL Server 2008, its next-generation data and analysis platform. SQL Server 2008 running on Quad-Core AMD Opteron™ processors promises to provide customers with a “best-of-breed” platform for their data-intensive business applications, even during peak workloads. AMD today is also highlighting the record-breaking data management and analysis benchmark tests of the HP ProLiant DL785 G5 server featuring Quad-Core AMD Opteron processors running SQL Server 2008; these results underscore the performance and scalability promise of this AMD-Microsoft solution.
“Now, more than ever, it is imperative to offer customers a forward-looking database solution that enables the full capability of the SQL Server Data Platform today, and that also scales for the future,” said Dan Neault, marketing general manager, SQL Server at Microsoft Corp. “AMD Opteron processors provide a robust, scalable and power-efficient platform in order to offer our joint customers an optimized solution that will run high capacity, business critical applications with outstanding performance.”
The exceptional scalability and performance of AMD’s Direct Connect Architecture is evident in two unique benchmark tests conducted by HP using Quad-Core AMD Opteron processor-based 8-socket HP ProLiant servers running Microsoft SQL Server 2008. These tests demonstrate that customers can deploy large decision support and enterprise resource planning solutions at competitive pricing with optimum scalability and performance.
- An HP ProLiant DL785 G5 running Microsoft® Windows Server® 2008 x64 operating system and Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Enterprise x64 Edition database has achieved a world record on the TPC-H@300 GB decision support benchmark.1
- Further, the HP ProLiant DL785 G5 8-socket server with Quad-Core AMD Opteron™ processors Model 2360 SE also achieved first place on the two-tier SAP® Sales and Distribution Standard Application Benchmark among 8-processor, 32-core x86 class servers with similar configurations and workloads. At the time of testing, the server was running Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition operating system, Microsoft SQL Server 2008 x64 database and the SAP Enterprise Resource Planning application.2
“In conjunction with the launch of Microsoft SQL Server 2008, AMD is proud to offer customers a comprehensive database platform that offers outstanding performance-per-watt and scalability capabilities,” said Patrick Patla, general manager, Server and Workstation Business, AMD. “When customers leverage the power of a Quad-Core AMD Opteron processor for two-socket servers and higher, they know that they have a dynamic solution that will handle the most demanding database workloads, evolve with their business needs and empower them to make real-time decisions.”
“As one of the top ten real estate Multiple Listing Services in the country, and with over 30,000 active users, our IT infrastructure needs to be able to scale to handle heavy workloads during peak hours,” said Matt Lavallee, director of technology, MLS Property Information Network, Inc. “With that in mind, we are eager to upgrade to SQL Server 2008 from SQL Server 2005 running on AMD Opteron™ processor-based systems, as we realize it offers an optimal combination of performance, scalability and efficiency for our money. We are also quite pleased with the fact that the technology we’re implementing can grow with us as our business thrives—that is something AMD uniquely offers.”
In addition to posting top database-related scores with SQL Server 2008 and HP ProLiant DL785, the HP ProLiant DL 585 G5 servers based on Quad-Core AMD Opteron processors also hold top TPC-C scores among 4-processor, 16-core systems,3 and top SAP SD two-tier benchmark scores among 4-processor, 16-core systems,4 with SQL Server 2005.
Advanced Micro Devices (NYSE: AMD) is a leading global provider of innovative processing solutions in the computing and graphics markets. AMD is dedicated to driving open innovation, choice and industry growth by delivering superior customer-centric solutions that empower consumers and businesses worldwide. For more information, visit www.amd.com.
1. The ProLiant DL785 G5 achieved new world record results on the TPC-H@300 GB decision support benchmark: 52,860 QphH, $3.71/QphH@300GB USD price/performance. For more information please visit: ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/products/servers/benchmarks/dl785g5-tpch300gb-0708.pdf or http://www.tpc.org/tpch/results/tpch_perf_results.asp?resulttype=noncluster
2. Tests were performed on the HP ProLiant DL785 G5 server by the HP Houston Solution Alliances SAP engineering lab in Houston, TX. HP received certification from SAP AG of the results on the two-tier SAP® Sales and Distribution (SD) Standard Application Benchmark for the ProLiant DL785 G5 (Certification #2008026) on May 5, 2008. The HP ProLiant DL785 G5 achieved 5,230 SAP SD Benchmark users, equivalent to a throughput of 523,670 fully processed order line items per hour or 26,180 SAPS. For more information please visit: ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/products/servers/benchmarks/dl785g5_2tsapsd_may08.pdf or http://www.sap.com/solutions/benchmark/sd2tier.epx
3. For more information please visit: http://www.tpc.org/tpcc/results/tpcc_result_detail.asp?id=108071301 (performance information based on published data as of August 5, 2008)
4. For more information please visit: http://www.sap.com/solutions/benchmark/sd2tier.epx (Certification # 2008041; performance information based on published data as of August 5, 2008)
AMD, the AMD Arrow logo, AMD Opteron, and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Microsoft and Windows are registered trademarks of Microsoft Corporation in the United States and/or other jurisdictions. Other names are for informational purposes only and may be trademarks of their respective owners.