AMD Wins Eight Awards at CeBIT, Europe's Largest IT Trade Show
-1.1 Gigahertz AMD Athlon™ processor technology demonstration with copper interconnects takes prestigious "Trend Setting Hardware Technology" honors from a top European IT publication-
HANNOVER, GERMANY --
The AMD Athlon™ processor collected eight new awards at CeBIT 2000, the world's largest IT trade show. This adds to a list now totaling 51 awards from publications in 15 countries for the AMD Athlon™ processor and systems based on it since the introduction of the AMD Athlon™ processor in August 1999.
Among the honors received were "trend setting technology" in the hardware category from CHIP magazine, a leading European IT publication whose prestigious awards are known as the "CeBIT-Oscars." This honor was reserved for the 1.1 Gigahertz (GHz) AMD Athlon™ processor technology demonstration, selected from a field of more than 7,500 exhibitors demonstrating thousands of new innovations at CeBIT.
Produced at AMD's new Fab 30 in Dresden, Germany, this lightning fast demonstration CPU utilizes state-of-the-art 0.18 micron copper interconnect technology and an integrated level 2 cache running at full processor speed. AMD's Fab 30 is expected to begin shipping copper-based processors by the end of the second quarter this year.
"We are pleased with the overwhelmingly positive response we have received since the introduction of the AMD Athlon™ processor. The award given to AMD by CHIP magazin recognizes the benefits of our investment in the copper interconnect technology," said Rob Herb, chief marketing executive for AMD. "The technology being developed and deployed in Dresden is expected to enable us to continue to offer superior solutions for the high performance market."
AMD also received awards at CeBIT from three other leading German IT publications as well as one from Croatia, including:
- PC Direct -- (Germany) -- "Most Innovative Manufacturer" AMD for the AMD Athlon processor
- PC Shopping -- (Germany) -- "Reader's Choice -- Most Innovative Hardware" AMD Athlon processor
- "Reader's Choice -- Company of the Year" AMD for the AMD Athlon processor
- PC Professionell -- (Germany) -- "Innovation of the Year 99-00" Finalist, AMD Athlon processor
- VIDI Magazine -- (Croatia) -- "Grand Prix Award, Best CPU -- Hi-End Use" 800MHz AMD Athlon processor
- "Grand Prix Award, Best CPU -- Games" 800MHz AMD Athlon processor
- "Grand Prix Award, Best CPU -- Office Use" 800MHz AMD Athlon processor
AMD Athlon™ Processor Awards Around the World
Prior to capturing the CeBIT honors, the AMD Athlon™ processor and AMD Athlon™ processor-based systems had received 43 awards from countries spanning five continents. The following is a listing of those AMD Athlon™ processor and AMD Athlon™ processor-based system awards:
AMD Athlon™ Processor Awards
- Analyst's Choice Award -- Best PC Processor, Microprocessor Report, January 2000
- Technical Excellence -- Best Component (Hardware Category), PC Magazine, November 1999
- CPU of the Year, Maximum PC, December 1999
- Best Product of 1999 (Hardware), Windows NT Systems, January 2000
- All-Star Award, Cadalyst, December 1999
- Wired for 3D Editors' Choice, 3D Magazine, January 2000
- Attaboy Award -- Product of the Year, Houston Chronicle, December 1999
- Technical Excellence -- Best Component (Hardware Category), PC Magazine en Espanol, December 1999
- Best Overall Product of the Year, PC Magazine (UK), December 1999
- Best System Design -- Processor, PC Magazine (UK), December 1999
- Product of the Year, PC Expert (France), January 2000
- Technical Excellence -- Hardware and Component Category, PC Expert (France), January 2000
- Year 2000 Star Product (New Technology Category), Info PC (France), January 2000
- Overall Product of the Year, Info PC (France), January 2000
- Editors' Choice, Generation PC (France), January 2000
- Product of the Year, PC Compatibles (France), December 1999
- Product of the Year -- Processor, PC Direct (France), January 2000
- Product of the Year 2000, PC Achat (France), January 2000
- Product of the Year, PC World (Denmark), December 1999
- Product of the Year, PC World (Norway), December 1999
- Best CPU for Desktops, PC World Komputer (Poland), December 1999
- Technology Product of the Year, PC Kurier (Poland), January 2000
- Millennium Award, Personal Computer Magazine (The Netherlands), January 2000
- Best of Comdex (Israel), December 1999
- Best of World PC Expo 99 (Japan), Nikkei BYTE/Nikkei WinPC Magazine, September 1999.
AMD Athlon™ Processor-based System Awards
- State-of-the-Art Desktop PC: Compaq Presario 5861, PC Computing, November 1999
- Editors' Choice Award (Desktop PCs): TCE K7-600, Computer Reseller News, September 1999
- #1 Midrange PC: Micro Express's MicroFlex-550B, PC World, January 2000
- Best Hardware of 1999: Polywell Poly 800K7-700, CNET.com, December 1999
- System of the Year: CyberMax Enthusiast AP6 650 MHz Athlon, Maximum PC, December 1999
- Attaboy Award -- Best Consumer PC: Compaq Presario 5900Z, Houston Chronicle, December 1999
- Cadalyst Labs 5-Star (out of a possible 5 stars) Highly Recommended Workstation: - Polywell 800K7-6501 (with an AMD Athlon 650 MHz processor) - Sys Performance 600A (AMD Athlon 600 MHz processor) -XI Computer 650K MTower SP (AMD Athlon 650 MHz processor)
- Ultimate Game Machine (co-winner): Falcon Northwest Computers, Computer Gaming World, December 1999.
This release contains forward-looking statements, which are made pursuant to the safe harbor provisions of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Forward-looking statements are generally preceded by words such as "plans," "expects," "believes," "anticipates" or "intends." Investors are cautioned that all forward-looking statements in this release involve risks and uncertainty that could cause actual results to differ materially from current expectations. Forward-looking statements in this release include the risk that AMD will be unable to produce AMD Athlon™ microprocessors based on copper interconnect technology as scheduled or in the necessary volumes to meet customer demand, and that the technology being developed and deployed in Fab 30 will not enable AMD to offer superior solutions for the high performance market. We urge investors to review in detail the risks and uncertainties in the Company's filings with the United States Securities Exchange Commission.