AMD Opteron™ Processor Again Dominates TOP500
World’s number one system powered by the AMD Opteron processor
SUNNYVALE, Calif. —5/31/2010
AMD (NYSE: AMD) continues to hold the reigning spot on the TOP500 Supercomputer list announced today at the International Supercomputing Conference in Hamburg, Germany. Jaguar, the world’s highest performing system, is a massive, 1.75 petaflop Cray XT5™ supercomputer based on the Six-Core AMD Opteron™ processor and features almost a quarter of a million cores. Additional Top 10 systems based on AMD technology are:
- #3: Roadrunner, a hybrid system from IBM using AMD Opteron processors in conjunction with IBM Cell technology located at Los Alamos National Laboratory
- #4: Kraken, a Cray XT5 system at the University of Tennessee
- #7: Tianhe-1, a hybrid system using ATI Radeon™ graphics processors at the National SuperComputer Center in China
Forty-seven additional AMD systems are in the TOP500 from OEMs including Appro, ClusterVision, Dawning, Dell, Fujitsu, Hitachi, HP, Koi Computers, Penguin Computing, and Sun.
“Our customers are selecting AMD platforms for supercomputing because they provide the cores, the memory, the power savings and clearly the performance that the world’s leading research institutions require for their ground-breaking work,” said John Fruehe, director, Server and Embedded product marketing at AMD. “AMD has been a leader in delivering the benefits of x86 and open source computing to the HPC community and it will be exciting to see what further advances the AMD Fusion™ family of Accelerated Processing Units (APUs) will bring.”
- The number of AMD technology-based Supercomputers on the TOP500 now stands at 51, a rise since November 2009.
- AMD technology helps drive more than 4.2 Petaflops of computing power on the TOP10 alone.
- Cray recently announced numerous new contracts for its next-generation Cray XE6™ supercomputer to be based on AMD Opteron™ 6100 Series processors with the ability to scale to more than 1 million cores.
- In addition to universities and national labs, AMD also powers world-class supercomputing resources in the enterprise, including engineering, finance and IT service.
- AMD-based systems provide leading supercomputing resources across the globe including in the United States, China, Japan, the United Kingdom, Japan, Germany, Switzerland, Norway, and Finland.
Advanced Micro Devices (NYSE: AMD) is an innovative technology company dedicated to collaborating with customers and technology partners to ignite the next generation of computing and graphics solutions at work, home and play. For more information, visit http://www.amd.com
AMD, the AMD Arrow logo, ATI, the ATI logo, AMD Fusion, AMD Opteron, Radeon, and combinations thereof, are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Other names are for informational purposes only and may be trademarks of their respective owners.