Quad-Core AMD Opteron™ Processors: Uncompromised Design. Unprecedented Performance-per-Watt. Quad-Core AMD Opteron processors with Direct Connect Architecture deliver outstanding performance within a consistent footprint and thermal envelope.
By leveraging AMD's Common Core Strategy and Same Socket Technology, Quad-Core AMD Opteron processors are designed to minimize changes to your software and data center infrastructure to protect your IT investment and simplify IT management.
AMD plans include a stable consistent roadmap and well-timed transitions to help decrease your IT TCO.
Quad-Core AMD Opteron processors are designed for optimum multi-threaded application performance. We start with a native quad-core design - featuring four cores on a single die for more efficient data sharing - and add an enhanced cache structure and integrated memory controller designed to sustain multi-threaded application throughput. Quad-Core AMD Opteron processors provide outstanding processing power and can increase performance-per-watt to improve IT responsiveness while maintaining costs.
AMD Opteron processors enable stable, long-term solutions with outstanding performance and industry-leading performance-per-watt to simplify your IT management - now and in the future.
Features and Benefits
- Direct Connect Architecture - Helps reduce the bottlenecks inherent in traditional front-side bus architectures. High-throughput responsiveness and scalability for applications to improve overall system efficiency.
- HyperTransport™ Technology Links (up to 3 per AMD Opteron™ processor) - A high-speed link providing up to 8.0GB/s of bandwidth per link for connecting between processors and I/O subsystems, helps improve application performance and scalability.
- Integrated on-chip memory controller - Offers high-bandwidth, low-latency access to memory for excellent performance on memory intensive applications as well as virtualized environments.
- Hardware-assisted AMD Virtualization™ Technology - Helps maximize the benefits of virtualization by accelerating application performance and responsiveness via hardware-assisted instruction set extensions.
- Rapid Virtualization Indexing - Can improve performance on many virtualized applications by allowing virtual machines to directly manage memory rather than relying on slower software-based methods.
- AMD PowerNow!™ Technology - Adjusts processor voltage and frequency to match application needs, helping optimize performance-per-watt.
- Independent Dynamic Core Technology - With quad-core AMD Opteron processors, allows frequency to be varied per core to reduce power consumed by lower utilized cores.
- Dual Dynamic Power Management™ - Allows systems to reduce power consumed by processor cores while maintaining optimum memory performance.
- AMD CoolCore™ Technology - Reduces power to unused sections of each processor to further reduce power consumption.
- AMD Smart Fetch Technology - Allows core to enter "halt" state and draw less power. Reduces CPU power consumption.
- AMD Memory Optimizer Technology - Designed for the increased demands of quad-core computing, increases memory throughput by up to 50% over Second-Generation AMD Opteron processors.
- AMD Balanced Smart Cache - Helps increase multi-threaded application performance through three levels of dedicated and shared cache.
- AMD Wide Floating-Point Accelerator - 128-bit floating-point pipeline enhancements to improve performance on workstation and HPC applications.
- Same Socket Technology - Enables upgradability from dual-core to quad-core computing for significantly improved performance-per-watt and platform longevity.
- Common Core Strategy - Allows for easy upgradability to new servers and applications by introducing new technologies throughout AMD's product lineup.
- Energy-efficient DDR2 memory - Memory bandwidth with improved RAS (reliability, availability, serviceability) and low-power cost savings compared to other memory architectures.