Enhanced Virus Protection
Guard your data with Enhanced Virus Protection
Enhanced Virus Protection, when used with Windows Vista® or Windows XP® SP2, can significantly reduce the cost associated with certain malicious viruses, worms, and Trojan horses and help minimize the total cost of ownership of AMD64 processor-based systems.
Enhanced Virus Protection in combination with Windows Vista or Windows XP SP2 sets portions of system memory aside as "data only" meaning that any code resident in these areas may not be executed, only read from or written to.
AMD's Enhanced Virus Protection acts as a preventative measure causing the virus to be localized, short-lived, and non-contagious, eventually being flushed from system memory.
All AMD64 processors are enabled with Enhanced Virus Protection, including:
With Microsoft Windows Vista or Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2), you will be able to fully utilize the security technology*.
By providing extra security at the platform level, AMD lets you easily embrace the future of computing. This technology can deliver added protection for the applications of today and tomorrow. As a result, you can enjoy real peace of mind.
With the power of AMD64 technology, your computer has security built right in. The combination of AMD64 technology with Windows Vista or Windows XP SP2 can help your system to better withstand attacks from certain classes of viruses. This can help you experience safer e-mail and Internet browsing, as well as increased network and memory protection.
AMD Enhanced Virus Protection with Windows Vista or Windows XP SP2 enables you to:
- Prevent the spread of certain malicious viruses, which are transported via e-mail and instant messaging applications
- Surf the Internet with confidence, knowing you have an extra level of protection against certain harmful web downloads
- Help improve the integrity of your home and office network
AMD64 and Enhanced Virus Protection Features and Benefits
- Enjoy solid security against certain types of viruses
- Get exceptional 32-bit performance for music, video, and games
- Be prepared for next generation 64-bit software
- Conserve power, while running a whisper-quiet system
For small/medium business
- Protect your valuable business data from certain malicious attacks
- Enjoy leading-edge performance on your current software
- Move seamlessly to future 64-bit applications
- Save energy and get a quieter workplace
For commercial users
- Prevent the spread of certain viruses and strengthen your network integrity
- Enhance the performance of today's mission-critical applications
- Migrate to 64-bit computing at your own pace
- Reduce power consumption, while enabling a quiet work environment
Additional Features and Benefits
- Enhanced Virus Protection for Windows Vista or Windows XP SP2
- Prevents damage from certain viruses, worms, and Trojan horses by causing them to become localized, short-lived, and non-contagious
- Designed to enhance the integrity of home and office networks
- Sets aside portions of system memory as "data only," so viruses cannot be executed
- Outstanding 32-bit performance
- Offers superior performance on today's software applications
- Increases memory addressability for enhanced computing experiences
- Creates a significant performance gain for applications in which large (or many) datasets are held in memory
- Cutting-edge AMD64 Technology
- Doubles the number of processor registers and increases memory addressability
- Enables seamless migration to 64-bit computing
- Allows users to run 32-bit and/or 64-bit applications and operating systems as they desire - without sacrificing performance
- Cool'n'Quiet™ Technology
- Enables frequency and voltage switching for performance on demand
- Reduces noise and heat at their sources
- Reduces processor power consumption by up to 65 percent and cuts the amount of system noise
- HyperTransport™ Technology
- Reduces I/O bottlenecks, increases bandwidth, and reduces latency
- Enables a system bus to run at up to 1600MHz
Provides high-speed I/O communications for your current and future application needs
- Supports up to 9.6GB/sec processor-to-system bandwidth
- Integrated memory controller
- Reduces latencies during memory access in a SMP server system
- Delivers fast computational processing for increased performance and productivity
* Enhanced Virus Protection (EVP) is only enabled by certain operating systems including the current versions of Microsoft® Windows®, Linux, Solaris and BSD Unix. After properly installing the appropriate operating system release, users must enable the protection of their applications and associated files from buffer overrun attacks. Consult your OS documentation for information on enabling EVP. Contact your application software vendor for information regarding use of the application in conjunction with EVP. AMD strongly recommend that users continue to use third party anti-virus software as part of their security strategy.