AMD (NYSE: AMD) today launched the AMD Radeon™ HD 8970M, the world’s fastest notebook graphics card1. The AMD Radeon HD 8970M graphics processing unit (GPU) delivers the best mobile gaming experience imaginable to gamers, powered by AMD’s award-winning Graphics Core Next (GCN) architecture.
“Today’s gaming notebooks need a graphics card that is fast, powerful and energy-efficient,” said Matt Skynner, corporate vice president and general manager, Graphics Business Unit, AMD. “The AMD Radeon HD 8970M GPU is the perfect combination of technologies, blending performance, immersive features and an extensive battery life that delivers an unrivaled gaming experience, even on the go.”
“When developing our new gaming notebook, the MSI GX70, we required a graphics card that would truly enhance the gaming experience. The AMD Radeon™ HD 8970M graphics card exceeded our expectations,” said Eric Kuo, vice president for Global Sales and Marketing, MSI Notebook. “Its speed, features and intelligent power capabilities perfectly complement our product. The GX70 is surely designed for professional and top tier gamers.”
Features and Benefits:
- Speed: Featuring AMD’s GCN Architecture2, the AMD Radeon HD 8970M GPU is built for speed and designed from the ground up to provide the best experience in the top PC games for today and tomorrow.
- Intelligent Power Features: AMD’s Enduro™ Technology3 allows the AMD Radeon HD 8970M GPU to optimize battery life. The power features are inherently dynamic, delivering instant performance when needed and adjusting GPU requirements when in idle mode.
- Multi-Display Optimization: AMD Eyefinity technology allows for the highest quality multi-display gaming spread across several different monitors, creating an immersive experience4.
- Engineered for Compute: AMD App Acceleration harnesses the compute power of the AMD Radeon™ GPU to take workload off the CPU and provide unprecedented performance in everyday applications. The AMD Radeon HD 8970M GPU offers improved performance and enhanced visual effects5.
- Unparalleled Image quality & Video Playback: The AMD Radeon HD 8970M GPU is the ideal entertainment and productivity tool that provides smooth video playback and maximizes image quality for all of your multimedia needs.
- DirectX® 11.1 Support: Offers full support for DirectX 11.1 and Windows 8 for all of today and tomorrow’s games and applications.
- AMD Radeon™ HD 8970M GPU Product Page
- Become a fan of AMD Gaming on Facebook
- Follow @AMDRadeon on Twitter
AMD (NYSE: AMD) is a semiconductor design innovator leading the next era of vivid digital experiences with its groundbreaking AMD Accelerated Processing Units (APUs) that power a wide range of computing devices. AMD’s server computing products are focused on driving industry-leading cloud computing and virtualization environments. AMD’s superior graphics technologies are found in a variety of solutions ranging from game consoles, PCs to supercomputers. For more information, visit www.amd.com.
AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and Radeon are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Other names are for informational purposes only and may be trademarks of their respective owners.
- The AMD Radeon HD 8970M is the world's fastest notebook GPU. In tests by AMD as of 18th, April 2013, the reference AMD Radeon™ HD 8970M showed higher average performance than NVIDIA's highest performing single GPU mobile graphics card, the GeForce® GTX 680M, in the 3DMark® Fire Strike test with a score of FS4571 vs. FS3749 and in Crysis 3 (FPS, 1080p at very high quality presets). System configuration: Intel® Core™ i7-3720QM (2.6GHz), 6GB DDR3-1600 and Windows 7 x64. AMD Radeon™ HD 8970M evaluated with AMD Catalyst™ 13.10 Beta 4. NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 680M evaluated with NVIDIA® ForceWare™ 307.17 WHQL. GRM-4
- The GCN Architecture and its associated features (PCI Express® 3.0, AMD Enduro™, AMD ZeroCore Power technology, etc.) are applicable to select AMD Radeon™ HD 7000M & HD 8000M Series Graphics. Not all technologies are supported in all system configurations—check with your system manufacturer for specific model capabilities.
- AMD Enduro™ technology automatically turns off the AMD Radeon™ discrete GPU for non-intensive applications to help maximize battery life for more time unplugged, and requires either an AMD A-Series APU or an Intel processor, plus an AMD Radeon™ discrete graphics card and is available on Windows® 7 and Windows® 8 Standard and Professional editions. Linux OS supports manual switching which requires restart of X-Server to switch between graphics solutions. With AMD Enduro™ technology, full enablement of all discrete graphics video and display features may not be supported on all systems (e.g. OpenGL applications will run on the integrated GPU or the APU as the case may be). Always check with your system manufacturer for specific mode capabilities and supported technologies.
- AMD Eyefinity technology works with games that support non-standard aspect ratios, which is required for panning across multiple displays. To enable more than two displays, additional panels with native DisplayPort™ connectors, and/or DisplayPort™ compliant active adapters to convert your monitor’s native input to your cards DisplayPort™ or Mini-DisplayPort™ connector(s), are required. Support for five simultaneous displays may require complementary products compatible with DisplayPort 1.2 Multi-Stream Transport. Maximum number of configured displays may vary - check with your component or system manufacturer for specific model capabilities and supported technologies. SLS (“Single Large Surface”) functionality requires an identical display resolution on all configured displays.
- AMD App Acceleration is a set of technologies designed to improve video quality and enhance application performance. Full enablement of some features requires support for OpenCL™, DirectCompute or DirectX® Video Acceleration (DXVA). Not all products have all features and full enablement of some capabilities and may require complementary products.