AMD Radeon™ ProRender is AMD’s powerful physically-based rendering engine that lets creative professionals use open industry standards to leverage GPU and CPU performance to produce stunningly photorealistic images in Autodesk® Maya®.
Fast, easy, and incredible, Radeon™ ProRender is available as a plug-in for Maya® and can be used to render anything – product designs, architectural visualizations, visuals effects, and more.
Radeon™ ProRender is fully integrated into Maya® 2017, 2018, and 2019 for Microsoft Windows®, macOS®, and Linux®, meaning you can use its existing lights, materials, and textures, and it renders your geometry accurately. Radeon™ ProRender also comes with a library of materials to get you started.
Get the AMD Radeon™ ProRender plug-in and user guide for Maya®
It’s physically accurate and lightning fast. It has viewport integration, so you can see your changes as you go
Radeon™ ProRender is hardware agnostic. If your computer can run OpenCL™ 1.2 or Apple® Metal® 2, it can run Radeon™ ProRender on your CPU or GPU
Whatever your chosen workflow, Radeon™ ProRender is fully integrated into Autodesk® Maya® 2017 and higher for Microsoft Windows®, macOS®, and Linux®
Radeon™ ProRender harnesses the power of machine learning to produce high-quality final and interactive renders in a fraction of the time traditional denoising takes (Windows® only)
Environment and Sky
Radeon™ ProRender has its own environment setup, letting you work in IBL or Sky mode, together with emissive light setups and lights from HDRI environments
Radeon™ ProRender comes with its own optimized material library, providing an easy starting point and reference point for creating your own shaders
Radeon™ ProRender lets you set a threshold for noise in your render, accelerating render times while enabling higher-quality renders
Now for macOS®
Radeon™ ProRender for Maya® supports Windows®, macOS®, and CentOS® Linux®
Current features of the AMD Radeon™ ProRender plug-in for Autodesk® Maya® 2.6 for Windows® and macOS®, and the plug-in for Autodesk® Maya® 2.1 for Linux®
- *NEW* AI-Accelerated Denoising for both final and interactive rendering.**
- *NEW* Adaptive Sampling accelerates render times while enabling higher-quality renders.*
- *NEW* Support for Maya® XGen Interactive Grooming tools for hair and fur creation.*
- *NEW* Support for Maya® Fluid Volumes allows artists to render advanced effects like smoke, fog, and clouds to create even more realistic images.*
- Improved subdivision of surfaces with Adaptive Subdivision can speed up workflows.*
- Metal® Performance Shaders accelerated ray tracing support on macOS®.
- Simplified sampling – all rendering samples are used for anti-aliasing.
- Native tone mapping and exposure controls.
- Depth map rendering capability, allowing the processing of depth of field manually.
- Viewport integration means you can work with Radeon™ ProRender in real-time and see your changes as you make them.
- Built on OpenCL™ or Metal® 2, it’s hardware agnostic, so it runs on virtually any hardware, including virtually any combination of GPUs and CPUs.
- Near linear rendering performance scaling when adding additional GPUs.
- Render modes support global illumination, direct illumination (with/without shadow), wireframe, diffuse albedo, position, normal, texture coordinates, ambient occlusion.
- AOVs for post processing including support for opacity, world coordinates, UVs, material index, geometric normals, shading normal, reflections, diffuse lighting, and albedo.*
- Control over frame completion and rendering – pause, set render pass limits and duration.
- Added “Out-of-Core” texture cache setting for viewport and material renders.*
- Animations of frames can be exported in the .rpr format.
- Batch/background and region rendering support.
- Displacement and Renderstamp support.
(*Available in Windows® and macOS® versions only. **Available in Windows® version only)
- *NEW* Convert Arnold Renderer and Redshift materials (in addition to already supported V-Ray material conversion) to Radeon™ ProRender materials.*
- Updated separately-installed Material Library with 300+ materials that use the Radeon™ ProRender Uber Shader so they’re easy to use as starting points for your own materials.*
- Updated Uber Shader with more realistic defaults, enhanced subsurface scattering, diffuse backscattering, a simplified caustics option, an improved clearcoat appearance, and refraction and reflection normal maps.*
- Ambient Occlusion node for enhanced procedural texture workflows.*
- Texture color space controls – set the color space to either sRGB or linear.*
- Shadow Catcher material for compositing objects to IBL (Image-Based Lighting) environments or backplate images.
- Supports X-Rite’s Appearance Exchange Format (AxF™). Learn more at Xrite.com.**
- Physically correct materials and lighting allow you to make true design decisions with global illumination – including caustics.
- Import/export Radeon™ ProRender Materials, including those from Autodesk® 3ds Max®.
- Materials are simple to use via the Maya® material Hypershade editor.
- UV generation and basic transform info for maps, which include scaling, offset, and rotations.
- Change textures and apply tiling/scaling while rendering in a Maya® viewport.
(*Available in Windows® and macOS® versions only. **Links to third party sites are provided for convenience and unless explicitly stated, AMD is not responsible for the contents of such linked sites and no endorsement is implied)
- Light Shader that creates realistic lighting, including area light shapes, color temperature, and texture maps.*
- IES lights support lets you use the exact scattering and fall-offs of real-world lighting.
- Includes photometric lighting – supports IBL environments and a sun/sky system with time of day and location setting, control of sun/sky atmospherics, soft shadows, sky albedo and turbidity.
- Emissive materials and textured emission to allow any geometry emit light.
- Supports V-Ray light conversion and translation.
- Real world unit support (lumen/lux/candela/kelvin).
- Supports HDRI environment mapping and lighting.
- Supports Maya® lights and tone mapping.
- Portal light and backplate image support.
- Ground plane shadows and reflections.
(*Available in Windows® and macOS® versions only)
- Manage/select different cameras which are rendered in interactive mode via viewports.
- Depth of field (DOF) and motion blur support.
- Virtual Reality (VR) camera support.
- Supports Maya® camera presets.
- *NEW* Supports Autodesk® Maya® 2017, Maya® 2018, and Maya® 2019 on Microsoft Windows® and macOS®.
- Supports Autodesk® Maya® 2016 and Maya® 2017 on CentOS Linux®.
- glTF (GL Transmission Format) support for easy export of assets to other applications while preserving materials.*
- Reorganized render settings allow for clearer user control, helping improve workflows.*
- Custom shelf buttons for easy access to Radeon™ ProRender features.
- Viewport update including undo/redo tracking and smart caching.
- Large scene export optimization and .rpr export format.*
- Integrates into existing Maya® workflows.
- Batch/background rendering.
- MELscript support.
(*Available in Windows® and macOS® versions only)
- Autodesk® Maya® 2017, Autodesk® Maya® 2018, and Autodesk® Maya® 2019 on Windows® and macOS®
- Autodesk® Maya® 2016 and Autodesk® Maya® 2017 on Linux®
- Microsoft Windows® 7, 10 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows® 10 64-bit (non-AMD GPU)
- macOS® High Sierra 10.13.3 and up (10.13.4 required for external GPU support)
- Linux® distributions: CentOS® 6.5 (official Maya® 2016/2017 supported version), CentOS® 7.2 (official Maya® 2017 supported version)
- Runs on both GPUs and CPUs. OpenCL™ 1.2 support required for GPUs on Windows® and Linux®. Metal® 2 support required for GPUs on macOS®
- AMD graphics cards are recommended for Windows® and Linux®, required for macOS®
- For non-AMD OpenCL™ 1.2 cards, Windows® 10 64-bit is required
- Recommended Windows® and Linux® Graphics Hardware:
- AMD Radeon™ Pro WX series cards, Radeon™ Pro SSG graphics, Radeon™ Pro Duo (“Polaris”) graphics, Radeon™ Vega Frontier Edition cards, Radeon™ VII graphics card, AMD FirePro™ W9100, W8100, W7100, and S series cards
- Compatible Windows® and Linux® Graphics Hardware:
- AMD Radeon™ Pro Duo (“Fiji”) graphics, Radeon™ RX series cards, Radeon™ R9 Fury series cards, Radeon™ R9 Nano graphics, Radeon™ R9 300 series cards, Radeon™ R9 290X graphics, Radeon™ R9 290 graphics, Radeon™ R9 285 graphics, Radeon™ R9 280X graphics, Radeon™ R9 280 graphics
- Compatible Apple® Mac® Hardware:
- MacBook® (Early 2015 or newer), MacBook Pro® (Mid 2012 or newer), MacBook Air® (Mid 2012 or newer), Mac mini® (Late 2012 or newer), iMac® (Late 2012 or newer), iMac Pro™ (Late 2017 or newer), Mac Pro® (Late 2013) (Models without discrete AMD Radeon™, Radeon™ Pro, or AMD FirePro™ graphics will be limited to CPU rendering with Radeon™ ProRender)
- Compatible Apple® Mac® External Graphics (eGPU) Hardware:
- AMD Radeon™ RX 470, RX 480, RX 560, RX 570, and RX 580 graphics, Radeon™ RX Vega 56, RX Vega 64, Vega Frontier Edition (Air-Cooled) graphics, and Radeon™ Pro WX 7100, WX 8200, WX 9100 graphics (Requires macOS® High Sierra 10.13.4 and compatible all-in-one eGPU product or eGPU Thunderbolt™ 3 chassis)
Third-party content, not official AMD tutorials
DISCLAIMERS AND ATTRIBUTIONS
©2019 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo, FirePro, Radeon, and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Apple, iMac, Mac, Mac mini, Mac Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, macOS, and Metal are registered trademarks of Apple Inc. iMac Pro is a trademark of Apple Inc. Microsoft and Windows are registered trademarks of Microsoft Corporation in the US and other jurisdictions. OpenCL is a trademark of Apple Inc. used by permission by Khronos Group Inc. Thunderbolt is a trademark of Intel Corporation or its subsidiaries in the U.S. and/or other countries. Other product names used in this publication are for identification purposes only and may be trademarks of their respective companies.