AMD Simplified: Vulkan™ API
Unique cross-OS support
Vulkan™ supports close-to-metal control enabling faster performance and better image quality across Windows® 7, Windows® 8.1, Windows® 10, and Linux®. No other graphics API offers the same powerful combination of OS compatibility, rendering features, and hardware efficiency.
Automatically compatible with GCN architecture
Any AMD APU or Radeon™ GPU based on the Graphics Core Next (GCN) architecture is already Vulkan™-compliant. Because of this, form factors of all shapes and sizes can benefit from what Vulkan™ has to offer.
"We are thrilled that The Talos Principle is paving the way for the groundbreaking Vulkan™ API, as the first ever Vulkan-enabled title," said Dean Sekulic, Senior programmer and GFX guru at Croteam. "The AMD driver support team shared their experience in the low-overhead API space, and really helped us a lot during Vulkan implementation into Serious Engine."
Forged by the industry
Developed by the Khronos Group, the same consortium that developed OpenGL®, Vulkan™ is a descendant of AMD’s Mantle, inheriting a powerful low-overhead architecture that gives software developers complete access to the performance, efficiency, and capabilities of Radeon™ GPUs and multi-core CPUs.
Compared to OpenGL, Vulkan™ substantially reduces “API overhead” – the background work a CPU does to interpret what a game asks of the hardware – to deliver meaningful features, performance, and image quality and expose GPU hardware features that wouldn’t ordinarily be accessible through OpenGL.
AMD Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.3 and later support the following AMD APUs and Radeon™ GPUs1 based on the Graphics Core Next architecture on Windows® 7, Window® 8.1, Windows® 10, and Linux®:
- AMD Radeon™ R9 Series graphics
- AMD Radeon™ R7 Series graphics
- AMD Radeon™ R5 240 graphics
- AMD Radeon™ HD 8000 Series graphics for OEM systems (HD 8570 and up)
- AMD Radeon™ HD 8000M Series graphics for notebooks
- AMD Radeon™ HD 7000 Series graphics (HD 7730 and up
- AMD Radeon™ HD 7000M Series graphics for notebooks (HD 7730M and up)
- AMD A4/A6/A8/A10-7000 Series APUs
- AMD A6/A8/A10 PRO-7000 Series APUs
- AMD A6/A8/A10/FX™ 8000 Series APUs
- AMD E1/A4/A10 Micro-6000 Series APUs
- AMD E1/E2/A4/A6/A8-6000 Series APUs
- AMD A4-1200, A4-1300 and A6-1400 Series APUs
- AMD E1-2000, E2-3000, A4-5000, A6-5000, and A4 Pro-3000 Series APUs
- Product is conformant with Vulkan™ 1.0 Specification.
©2016 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo, Radeon, and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Vulkan and the Vulkan logo are trademarks of the Khronos Group Inc. Windows is a registered trademark of Microsoft Corporation in the US and other jurisdictions. Other product names used in this publication are for identification purposes only and may be trademarks of their respective companies.