This document provides general information about color depth and instructions on selecting the preferred color depth within AMD Radeon Settings.
The contents of this document are organized into the following sections:
The number of colors that are used to show images on a display is determined by color depth, which is expressed in bits per color (BPC). Most monitors support up to 8 BPC, known as 24-bit true color, where each channel of the Red, Green, and Blue (RGB) color model consists of 8 bits.
A variant of the 8 BPC color depth is 32-bit true color, which includes a fourth channel (Alpha) for transparency. Microsoft® Windows® 8.1 and Windows® 10 use 32-bit true color by default for displaying the Desktop and applications.
Displays capable of greater than 8 BPC are generally used for graphics design, professional photography, and cinema post production. The higher color depth value allows more colors to be used, which can result in more colorful and vibrant images. For the purpose of this document, only 8 BPC and 10 BPC (8-bit and 10-bit for short) modes will be referenced.
Current AMD graphics products (GPU) process colors internally, in floating-point precision, with the 8-bit (or 10-bit) conversion occurring only at the output stage.
With a supported display the BPC required can be selected, if it is supported and enabled in the software application. The software application must be running in exclusive full screen mode, otherwise the image will be rendered in 8-bit mode.
To see a list of supported displays and graphics card that have been tested and recommended for use with the software application, please refer the software vendor's documentation.
Follow the steps below to view and select the available color depth supported by your display:
- Open AMD Radeon Settings. This can be done in any of the following ways:
- Right click on your desktop and select AMDRadeon Settings
- Click on the Radeon Settings icon in the System Tray
- Select AMD Radeon Settings from the Programs menu
- Click on the Radeon™ Additional Settings
- In Radeon Additional Settings select Properties (Digital Flat-Panel) locatedwithin the My Digital Flat-Panel menu.
- If more than one digital flat-panel is available for your computer, use the display selection menu at the top of the page to select the display that you want to configure. The current color depth for the page.
- In the Color Depth area, use the Preferred color depth setting to select the color depth that you want to use for the selected display. This setting is available only if multiple color settings are available for the display.
Note! The Preferred color depth option will be greyed out unless the display is connected to the graphics card via Dual-Link DVI or DisplayPort, adapters or convertors are not supported.
- Click Apply. The selected color depth setting is applied to the current resolution of the display.