This article provides instructions on how to enable and configure GPU Scaling using AMD Radeon Settings and AMD Catalyst Control Center.
The content of this article is categorized into the following sections:
- Reasons to Use GPU Scaling
- GPU Scaling Modes
- Accessing Scaling Mode in AMD Radeon Settings
- Accessing Scaling Mode in AMD Catalyst™ Control Center
- To maintain aspect ratio for older games and applications that still run in a 5:4 aspect ratio format on widescreen display devices
- To stretch a 5:4 aspect ratio resolution on a widescreen monitor
- To reproduce a non-native resolution pixel per pixel on the display
NOTE: The GPU Scaling feature requires the use of a digital connection (DVI, HDMI or DisplayPort™) from the display to the AMD graphics adapter.
Preserve aspect ratio/Maintain aspect ratio:
- Expands the current image to the full size of the monitor while maintaining the aspect ratio of the image size. For example, at a resolution of 1280x1024 (5:4 aspect ratio), the screen will have black bars on the left and right side.
Full panel/Scale image to full panel size:
- Expands the current image to the full size of the monitor for non-native resolutions. For example, at a resolution of 1280x1024 (5:4 aspect ratio), the screen will stretch to fill the monitor. This is the opposite effect of Maintain Aspect Ratio.
Note: This feature is not designed to fix the issue of black borders on HDTV. To resolve black borders on HDTV, please refer to KB article: GPU-22.
Center/Use centered timings:
- Turns off image scaling and centers the current image for non-native resolutions. Black bars may appear around the image. For example, setting a 24" monitor (native resolution of 1920x1200) at a resolution of 1680x1050 (16:10 aspect ratio) or lower will place a black border around the monitor.
- Right-click the Desktop and select AMD Radeon Settings from the menu
- In AMD Radeon Settings, select Display
- Select GPU Scaling and switch GPU Scaling to On
4. Select the desired Scaling Mode
- Right-click the Desktop and select the AMD Catalyst™ Control Center from the menu
- Expand My Digital Flat Panels and from the menu and select Properties (Digital Flat Panel)
- Check Enable GPU up-scaling and select the desired GPU scaling mode then click Apply.